18 October 2011

A Story About Youtube Whoring

It was eighth period and I was in PE and the teacher said that she had to go outside for a minute because she has to find a student and tell them that their schedule has been changed so that they're in the class I am in. She leaves the room and a boy names, let's call him Paul, says "hey, I just wanted to let you know that I have a new youtube video out and you should go like and favourite it" we go on stretching because the teacher hasn't come back yet. "Also, you should subscribe. My new video is called 'Cycle Guy'. I know that four people in this room are subscribed to me." At this point I'm thinking to myself, wow, it's real life youtube whoring. Which, is a first for me. And I really hate to admit is but when he said 'four people in this room are subscribed to me' I was thinking 'I have 1300+ subscribers, there's nothing to gloat about' but this was mainly because he's annoying and he's because the new star kid at my school. It started out with me. I wasn't the star kid, no, I kept my youtube thing on the down low. I talked about it with my friends and I would bring it up casually in conversation but I wouldn't say "YOU SHOULD SUBSCRIBE TO ME AND WATCH AND LIKE AND FAVOURITE ALL OF MY VIDEOOOOOOOOOS" because, honestly, I didn't care. Then a French kid, let's call him Bill, makes a few videos on youtube kinda sorta because me and another one of my friends made youtube videos. One day Orchestra A is at Disney Hall (if you live out of the country, Disney Hall is a concert hall in Los Angeles, it is where the LA Phil Harmonic play. Google some pictures, it's a cool looking building) and they've sound checked and they're bored when all of a sudden someone finds Bill's youtube videos and everyone is watching them. Bill is the first star kid youtube boy person thing and everyone was watching his videos. I don't mean to be a hipster (except I do) but, I watched his videos first. He was technically inducted into the popular kids group because Gwen Stefani's niece absolutely adored Bill. Bill, politely declined this induction and stayed hanging out with me and the people I hang out with, but everyone was still starry eyed over him. This ended at the beginning of this school year. Paul posted one video on youtube and shared it on facebook and now everyone at school is asking "did you see Paul's new video?!" and I don't want to be bitter and I don't want to seem judgmental but, they're just not funny viral type videos. And, I don't understand what makes his videos so special. Someone told me that he was comparing his views to my views and that he had more views than me and, I don't watch his video and they most definitely could be higher but, I kinda doubt it. I will very often complain to my friends about no one at school appreciating my content but, the reason no one knows about my stuff is because I don't post it on facebook, hell, I usually forget to put it on twitter sometimes. I know that one ninth grade girl, who I don't even hang out with, sticks up for my videos and says that my videos are better than Paul's which is lovely and now I don't complain about not being known by my peers and through writing this blog post I've realized something. I am okay with my school mates not knowing about my videos because, to be honest, I really don't like most of them.
kthnxbaiii

5 comments:

  1. I get the feeling from your videos that you have lots of internet friends from YouTube. They are cool and groovy people yes? They are different to your school friends yes? Make videos for you and for them. Not school friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I promote myself online, Facebook, Twitter, etc. etc. etc. That's okay with me. I don't ever promote myself in real life. (excluding VodCon, Nerdfighter meetups, and places with other YouTubers...cause that's what we do) My co-workers at Maker just found out I vlog and honestly I'm terrified. At my last job a co-worker found out I do YouTube videos and would play them full screen and just laugh. So for me, online promotion is normal (and now part of my job) but IRL promotion...makes me SO embarrassed. If I had been a YouTuber in high school, I would NEVER tell anyone except my close friends. So I guess I'm with you at least partially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to comment to say that your videos are awesome and most of the time inspirational, so even though I haven't seen "Paul"'s videos, I totally agree with that 9th grade girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete